- Have you got a proven research and publication track record within Evolutionary Computation?
- Are you interested in one of our four fixed-term, full-time roles within the Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence?
- Do you have a PhD in AI and machine learning and can teach in one or more areas of computer science, including Artificial Intelligence?
Mō Te Herenga Waka – About our University
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand’s globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga – About the role
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington and The Faculty of Engineering are recruiting for the positions of Postdoctoral Fellow in the newly created Te Whiri Kawe – Centre of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (CDSAI). There are four positions available for a term of one year.
The Postdoctoral Fellows will support the Director and Deputy Directors of CDSAI to maintain and foster the high-quality research that is expected from the Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
The Postdoctoral Fellows will conduct high quality research in artificial intelligence, particularly computer vision and image processing, deep learning, neural networks and evolutionary learning, transfer learning and feature manipulation, multi-objective optimisation, and/or interpretable AI and machine learning.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will also be required to contribute to the teaching in Artificial Intelligence including postgraduate supervision.
Ō pūmanawa – About you
- A PhD in AI and machine learning, particularly computer vision and image processing, deep learning, neural networks and evolutionary learning, transfer learning and feature manipulation, multi-objective optimisation, and/or interpretable AI and machine learning
- A Proven research and publication track record within Evolutionary Computation, particularly in either evolutionary image analysis, feature selection and construction, transfer learning and multi-objective optimisation
- Proven ability to teach in one or more areas of computer science including Artificial Intelligence, Programming and Algorithm Design and Analysis
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills especially across cultures
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe – Why you should join our team
This is a unique opportunity to take up a research role in a newly created centre that is set to become a key player in data science and artificial intelligence research. The Postdoctoral Fellows will work with an exceptional team of researchers/staff, and have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the research and industry landscape in New Zealand.
Close date for vacancy: Thursday, 15 February 2024.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received and may progress with suitable applicants prior to the application closing date.
Contact details for vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Georgia Dix (64 4 886 5649, [email protected]) But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important – Application steps and information
Download and complete the University Application Form. Then, please combine your cover letter, CV and the University Application Form into a single file (preferably in pdf format). Click Apply and follow the process to enter your contact details and attach your combined file (CV, cover letter and the University application form) using the ‘CV/Resume’ button.
If you are unable to combine your documents or have further supporting documents, please email these to [email protected] stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.